Saturday, May 07, 2011

Heather: Cross Processed

Following the positive response to my previous post on the B&W images of Heather, and Heather and I catching up and talking about other shoots we'd done, I dived back into my archives last weekend. And found these:
Scanned film. Cross processed E6 transparency film through C41 chemicals. Details and more images at the pelicanImages blog (Photo ©Lee Irvine www.pelicanimages.com )
Fuji Provia (E6) processed in C41 chemicals
I'd date these to roughly '94(ish) but other than that all I know is that is was a summer day in The Meadows in Edinburgh. And, I was right in the middle of a cross-processing out of date film phase.
(*Cross processing is deliberately taking an exposed transparency film and developing it using chemical design for processing colour negative film. Different films give different results with different chemicals, so unless you do it yourself, the results are always a bit of a surprise. It's pretty much certain that you'll get a change in contrast and heavy colour cast.)

Scanned film. Cross processed E6 transparency film through C41 chemicals. Details and more images at the pelicanImages blog (Photo ©Lee Irvine www.pelicanimages.com )
Fuji Provia (E6) processed in C41 chemicals


I've never really done much with these shots as I didn't have access to a decent scanner back then and, getting prints made from cross-processed films was tricky at best. Everyone tried to remove the weird colour casts. Which is kind of the point in the first place...
So, these are pretty much "as is" with only a slight tweak in Lightroom. The warm cast is odd and the fact that I, for some reason, shot them in the midday sun has worked out quite well after all these years.

No comments: