Sunday, November 18, 2012

Back To The Dark Woods

As well as the sunrise and autumnal shots from Winkworth a few weeks ago, I also made a concerted effort to take advantage of the cool damp time of year and add to my ongoing infra-red fungus and mould project.
This project started this around this time last year and the results are always interesting. The semi-translucencey of moulds, fungi and mosses make for great IR subjects especially at macro magnifications.
Here's a behind the camera shot showing the small area of decay that I was focused on for a while. (much to the confusion of folks out for a Sunday stroll). That's a converted Canon D60 with a 50mm f2.5 Macro + the dedicated Life Size Converter. The tripod is obligatory as it lets me shoot the same shot at various apertures from f4 right up to f45. This means more choice of images when editing and selecting later. 
Finally, my workflow still has me doing my temperature corrections in Rawshooter(!) before editing the tiffs in Lightroom 4 (via Photoshop for a Red/Blue channel swap if it's required.) Rawshooter is pre-Lightroom software, but, for some reason LR4 still won't let the colour temperature go below 2000K. If anyone has any other solutions/workflows for this part of IR processing I'd be happy to hear them.

No comments: