Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Remember remember...

... to post event based blog entries as soon as possible to maintain their relevancy!

With that in mind, here're a few shots of the Guy Fawkes festivities in the village of Bramley, Surrey at the weekend. Things start out with a torch-lit procession from the library, through town and out to the field where the huge bonfire was waiting, primed and ready beneath the carefully positioned Guys. (If you're not from the UK and confused so far, this might help a little: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night ) At a signal from a man with a mega-phone, everyone then launches their torches at the pyre, and gets out of the way quickly. The fire is built to burn big and quick. And subsequently, hot.
I'd limited myself to just using my 50mm f1.4 and a flash with an off-camera E-TTL lead for the evening. I'd also added a full-CTO gel to the flash in anticipation of everything else being orange and fire lit. This was lucky because these guys would've looked too weird flashed in cold blue against a backdrop like that.
I also, deliberately, didn't take my tripod. No tripod = no stock fireworks shots and therefore more for me to think about photographically. This one restriction made me look around for photos instead of up. Which, it turns out is exactly what  everyone else was doing.
There's a larger selection in the gallery here, including, I have to admit, one or two fireworks shots too. I couldn't resist _all_ night ;)

No comments: